Nutrition is every bit as important as your exercise routine, and eating properly will not only enhance your performance, but will also reduce the chances of injuries and help you in other ways as well. So what is good sports nutrition? As an athlete, you’ll have the same kind of nutritional needs that others who don’t participate in sports have. However, you’ll need additional levels of a couple of things – most notably carbs. Here’s a rundown of the top six things your body needs in order to perform at its best.
• Water – If you’re not hydrated, nothing about your body will work at its best. Drinking plenty of water is the foundation of a good nutritional program.
• Protein – Protein comes from meats, eggs, soy, milk, and nuts primarily. It’s also needed to properly build up muscle strength and endurance, and is a vital part of any nutritional program.
• Carbs – Carbs are the biggest difference between athletes and those who don’t participate in sports. Carbs give your body the energy it needs to really perform. You’ll want to include plenty of them in your diet.
• Fats – This refers to a very specific kind of fats – lipids. Found in olive oil, nuts, seeds, and even in animal fats, your body does need fat in order to work at its best.
• Vitamins and Minerals – These are grouped together because they’re usually considered together. Your body needs a variety of minerals including zinc, calcium, and iron. Each one does something different for your body, and getting adequate levels of each is important.
A good personal trainer or fitness expert can help you review your dietary plan and determine where you can improve for maximum performance. If you’re looking to increase your ability in your physical activities, good nutrition is a vital part of your efforts. At Core 1 Inc., we can help build your fitness program from the ground up and give you a nutrition plan that will work for you. Contact us today to get started.